Monday, June 22, 2009

This weekend my Dad and I went to Yellowstone. We left Rexburg on Thursday evening, and stayed until Saturday evening. The adventure began Friday morning as we entered the park. Determined to find a grizzly bear, I told my dad I WAS NOT going to leave Wyoming until I saw a bear. There was no way I was going to return to Rexburg a grizzly-bear-in-the-wild-seeing-virgin. Friday came and Friday went. We had no bear luck that day. We saw more bison then I have ever seen in my life though. Never need to see one of those again. We also saw a cute little fox on the side of the road. So, dismayed, we left the park Friday. That night we went to the Playmill theatre in West Yellowstone and saw Footloose. So much fun, next time you are up in this area definitely make it to the Playmill theatre for a live performance that is so energetic. I went to bed that night thinking of different ways to attract the bears. I came up with a couple ideas, and the next day we put those ideas to the test.

First off, who doesn't like peanut butter. And I think that if there is anyone that likes peanut butter it is grizzly bears. So on Saturday morning we were in the park and stopped for gas. I bought peanut butter M&M's and a Reeses FastBreak. Both packed with peanut butter. I knew that if I smelled like peanut butter and left a trail, the bears would flock to us. The next thing I did is keep my bear eyes open! I was ready with the binoculars around my neck and the windows rolled down. The determination was on fire inside of me! My dad and I decided that we would come up with a key word that we would say if we saw the "B" word (bear...). I suggested the word Subaru. Somebody (Dad) did not like that, so he suggested Legacy. I decided I could live with that. So we continued driving, and I was saying "legacy" continually in my head over and over again. I was determined to see a bear. After hours of driving around the highest areas in the park, where the grizzlies were, I had lost hope. The bonfire of determination inside of me was doused. It was unfortunate. So I did what any child...adult of my age would do. I said a prayer. Yes, a prayer. I prayed that we would see a grizzly bear in the park before we left! With that prayer in my heart, I went to sleep, continually chanting "legacy" in my mind.

Some time later I woke up to my dad telling me there was a huge pack of cars, and something worth getting out of the car to look at. He was right! It was a grizzly bear! About 100 yards away lay the majestic beast that rules the lands of Yellowstone. After pinching myself I ran out of the car through the pack of people up to the very front with the pack. I threw up the binoculars in front of my eyes and looked in awe. Trying to find something to eat, the bear went from log to log breaking them open searching for whatever food would satisfy him.

I must unfortunately report that there has been some speculation behind the validity of this story. Some people (mom...Jme...the boys in Rockland 209....my FHE brothers....my ward....my Bishop....) seem to think we saw a "brown bear". This is false. It was a grizzly bear. A grizzly bear is a grizzly bear is a grizzly bear. Have I made my point clear?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I am so jealous!!! I want to se a bear so bad. Do you remember bear watch 07? I slept in the suburban for quite some time while every once else gave up. Remember how we set the car alarm off a couple different times. Do you remember how we heard the dog and we thought it was the bear?

well congratulations- I wish I was there!

Michael said...

To all of you doubters out there, Laura and I know what a Grizzly Bear looks like, afterall, last time we were in West Yellowstone we paid $20 to see them at the Grizzly Center so when we say we saw a Grizzly we know from where we speak.
Dad Brown

Sonnie and Ryan said...

I am glad you are enjoying your visits to good old Wyoming! I am also glad that you saw a bear...I think it would be kindof cool to see one...someday...but, since I am going to Girls Camp in the mountains of Wyoming in the next couple of months I am pretending that bears of any sort don't exist in wyoming--for my own sanity!!

Michael said...

Mel:
Thanks for the memories.
Dad