Monday, June 15, 2009

Somebody has to say it...

At BYU-Improved, there is a specific part of the honor code that states the following:

"Casual dress is discouraged on campus and is not appropriate for the classroom. Casual dress includes knee-length shorts, Capri's, T-shirts, PE-type clothing and flip-flop shoes"

There it is folks! The Honor Code specifically discourages wearing flip flops on campus. So what does one do when he or she sees a fellow student breaking the honor code? Well, the cool kids who let things roll of their back say nothing. Let me emphasize that I am a cool kid, but things do not always roll of my back. So, the other day I observed a girl wearing flip flops on campus. This was not the first time I saw this that day, and at this point it had really gotten to me. So as we passed each other, I looked deep into her eyes and smugly said, "I like your flip-flops." I went merrily on my way thinking I was doing a service for the school and making things easier for the Honor Code police (Yes, they do exist in real life). It was not until after I made this comment that my roommate who was walking with me, (she keeps me in line) asked me, "Did you really have to say that? She can do what she wants."

I hate to admit it....but she was right. I really did not have to say it. But, at the time, I was thinking, well, this is a crime! Somebody MUST say something to this girl! What could she be thinking ?!?!?!?! In the end, does somebody real have to say it....I think the girl knows she is doing something wrong. I'm sure she will feel guilty about it later from all the glares she gets from me and other students. Isn't that guilt enough? If I was having a rough day and wore flip-flops so my feet don't sweat (hey, I'm NOT saying they do!) the last thing I would want is someone saying what I said....

1 comment:

Lisa Brown said...

Brent - I think that is a very funny thing to do! I never had the guts to do that. Good one.