Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Hug Hug, Kiss Kiss

What is it with hugs? More specifically, hugs between coworkers? Today was my last day of work at Shane Co. Apparently, this calls for hugs from all fellow female employees. Males...meh. They just get handshakes and a head nod. You don't want to mess around with sexual harassment things these days. Messy.

The first hug was initiated by my boss. I stood on the opposite side of her desk saying good-bye when suddenly she got up and ran around to hug me. I didn't want to linger longer, so I just made that hug as quick as possible. I started walking quickly to the door; unfortunately, I was stopped with a gentle touch on the elbow. A fellow lady friend was requesting a hug as well. That's when it all went down hill. I took a deep breath, and realized that these hugs were not going to stop. Awkwardly, I stumbled from desk to desk, on a hugging marathon. They got shorter and shorter, on my part. I was hoping people would start to sense my urgency to just want to get out of there. 11.5 hugs later (.5 because I HAD to make the last one a one-armed-side hug to maintain my sanity), I was out the door and feeling normal again.

Why a hug? Were my coworkers so overwhelmed at the doom of my upcoming absence that they were unable to effectively express their emotions with words? Would a nice note have sufficed? It would have worked for me. Now the last memory I have of each of them is being awkwardly smashed up into that awkward neck/shoulder concave everyone has. You know, where your head gets mangled into, mid-hug, because there is no where else for it to go. While I appreciate their sentiments and thoughtfulness, I'm not one for hugs unless there is a lingering smell of Georgio Armani on the hugger.

Until next time, hugs and kisses to you all!

No comments: